- 2 Tbsp olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
1 1⁄2 cups chopped onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
4 cups plus 1⁄4 cup water
1 can (14 1⁄2 oz) reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth (13⁄4 cups)
1 cup small whole-wheat pasta (such as elbow macaroni)
1 medium carrot, cut in 4 pieces lengthwise, then in 1⁄4-in.-thick slices
1 can (15 oz) no-salt-added cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
8 oz broccoli rabe, cut bite-size, or 4 cups broccoli florets
1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then in 1⁄2-in.-thick slices
4 oz green beans, cut in 1-in. pieces (1 cup)
1 cup packed parsley leaves
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
1 lb plum ( Roma) tomatoes, chopped in 1⁄2-in. pieces (2 1⁄2 cups)
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a heavy 5- to 6-qt pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Stir in onion; cover and cook 5 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Add 2 tsp garlic; cook 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add 4 cups water and the broth; bring to a boil. Add pasta and carrot; boil 5 minutes. Reserve 3⁄4 cup of the cannellini beans.
- Stir rest into pot along with broccoli rabe, zucchini and green beans. Return to a boil and boil 5 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile purée remaining beans, 5 tsp oil, 1 tsp garlic, 1⁄4 cup water, the parsley and cheese in a food processor or blender.
- Remove from heat; stir tomatoes into soup. Stir in the parsley mixture or serve it alongside.
- Main Dishes, Soup