- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, smashed and grated
A generous handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
8 sage leaves, finely chopped
8 sprigs thyme, leaves finely chopped
4 sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped
2 small or 1 large zucchini, halved crosswise and sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
2 red bell peppers, quartered and seeded
1 eggplant, sliced lengthwise 2/3 inch thick (I leave on half the skin — I like the color and texture it gives the dish)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 pound ricotta salata cheese, sliced
4 thick slices crusty bread
1 cup pitted black olives, finely chopped
- Preheat an outdoor grill or a grill pan to medium-high. In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, parsley, sage, thyme and rosemary.
- Coat the zucchini and peppers with some of the oil mixture and set aside. Coat the eggplant with the remaining oil mixture. Season the vegetables liberally with salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant steaks, turning twice, for 10 minutes. Grill the peppers for 7 minutes and the zucchini for 5 minutes, turning each once. Divide the vegetables among dinner plates or arrange on a platter. Top with the cheese.
- Grill the bread and slather with the olives. Serve alongside the vegetables.
- Other, Main Dishes