If you're sick and tired of the average steak dinner, consider giving this creative recipe a whirl. The preparation is simple and straightforward grilling, but the combination of ingredients — tri-tip, fennel, lemons, and mozzarella — is out of the ordinary and unexpected. Each element serves a purpose: the hearty, charred steak is juicy, the anise-flavored fennel is crunchy, the soft, melted cheese is creamy, and the tangy, caramelized lemon is sour. It makes for an exciting meal that comes together in just 20 minutes. Pour a glass of wine and let the weekend begin! For the recipe please,
- 1 1/2 pounds tri-tip or sirloin steak, cut into 4 pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Heat grill to medium-high. Season the steak with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Grill to the desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, gently toss the fennel, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill, turning occasionally, until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes; transfer back to the bowl.
- Grill the lemon slices until slightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Toss the lemons with the fennel and thyme. Serve with the steak and mozzarella.
- Main Dishes, Beef