When hosting a Summer barbecue, it's a good idea to have an easy and effortless dessert that takes advantage of the delicious bounty of the season. This simple recipe of cooked balsamic cherries mixed with peaches is the perfect ending to a warm night.
I served the dessert in small tumblers by itself, but one could easily jazz up the fruit mixture by pairing it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, cheesecake or a shortcake. This recipe could also be made with blackberries instead of cherries. Bring home some cherries and peaches from the market to get started on this recipe.
- 1/2 pound cherries, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound peaches, sliced
- In a small saucepan, stir together the cherries, sugar and balsamic vinegar, and place over a medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl toss the warm cherries and syrup with the sliced peaches, add more sugar to taste and serve.
- Fruit, Desserts