Now that everyone knows that solid packed pumpkin is nothing but 100 percent pure pumpkin, here is a delicious and unexpected Thanksgiving dessert that combines pumpkin with brownies. The spiciness of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne in the pumpkin layer complements the sweetness of the rich brownie layer. I halved the original recipe and rather than bake them in a square pan, I opted to use a mini muffin pan. With a smaller pan, they didn't swirl as well, but it did create a distinct two-layer presentation with just enough richness in the bite-size dessert. If you are over the traditional pumpkin pie, give these delectable pumpkin brownies a try and keep reading for the recipe.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a mini muffin pan.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl in microwave, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, cayenne, and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- Put sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat until fluffy and well combined, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in flour mixture.
- Divide batter between two medium bowls (about 2 cups per bowl). Stir chocolate mixture into one bowl. In other bowl, stir in pumpkin, oil, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Fill the muffin pans with brownie mixture first and top with pumpkin batter. Can repeat to create several layers, if wanted. Sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips, if wanted.
- Bake until set, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 36-48 mini muffins.
- Desserts, Brownies
- North American