- 1-3⁄4 cups self-rising flour, preferably Aunt Jemima brand
1 tsp. granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups of water
1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
16 tbsp. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
4–6 cups whipped cream
2 pints ripe, in-season strawberries, hulled and halved
- Heat an electric Belgian waffle iron until very hot.
- Meanwhile, combine flour and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 1⁄4 cups water, egg yolks, and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Whisk in melted butter. Beat egg whites in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy, 1–2 minutes, then increase speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, about 1 minute. Gently but thoroughly fold half the egg whites at a time into batter.
- Pour about 1 cup of the batter (or enough batter to fill pockets in iron) into hot waffle iron; immediately lower waffle iron lid and cook until waffles are golden-brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Separate sheet of waffles into individual waffles. Repeat process with remaining batter.
- 4. To serve, put each hot waffle on a plate, top with a pile of whipped cream and strawberries, and sprinkle with some confectioners' sugar.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Pancakes/Waffles