Tonight, enjoy a classic Parisian bistro favorite, steak frites, in the comfort of your own home. Since it's the end of a long week, don't be afraid to take some major help from the store and serve up frozen French fries like the recipe recommends. The pan-seared tri-tip is rubbed with black peppercorns, and the quick sauce is a mixture of red wine, water, and butter. Pour a glass of the wine to sip with the meal — it's Friday and you deserve a drink.
To get this meat and potato meal on your table in minutes, read the recipe after the break.
- 28 to 30 ounces frozen french fries
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 (1 1/2-to 2-pounds) tri-tip beef roast (also called triangular roast; about 2 inches thick), cut into 4 steaks
2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
3 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 475°F with racks in upper and lower thirds, with a 4-sided sheet pan in lower third.
- Toss fries with 2 tablespoons oil in hot sheet pan, then bake according to package instructions until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, pat steaks dry, then rub with peppercorns and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in an ovenproof 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Sear steaks on all sides, about 3 minutes total. Transfer skillet to upper third of oven and roast 9 to 10 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to a plate and let rest 5 minutes.
- Add wine to skillet and boil, scraping up brown bits, until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Add water and meat juices from plate and boil briskly until reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in butter until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle fries with tarragon. Serve steaks with sauce and fries.
- Main Dishes, Beef
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.