- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
4 small garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 to 4 warmed pitas, for serving
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add chickpeas, and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool 15 minutes.
- Add chickpea mixture, mint, parsley, lemon juice, and salt to a food processor, season with pepper, and puree. With machine running, add remaining 1/4 cup oil in a slow, steady stream, mixing until emulsified. Spread can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, and drizzle with oil. Serve with pitas.
Makes 2 cups.
- Appetizers, Spreads
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern