Whenever I chat with someone about the film Julie & Julia, it seems the famous recipe for beef Borgignonne enters the conversation. However, when I watched the movie it wasn't this dish that stood out in my mind. It was the sole meuniere — the life-changing fish that Julia enjoyed upon her arrival in France — that I long to taste. Since I have a copy of my grandmother's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, I went home and looked for Julia's recipe.Unfortunately it's not in the book, so I hit the Internet in search of a buttery white-fish recipe. Although it's not necessarily a classic sole meuniere, I experimented with this sole and herbed white wine lemon sauce. The final result wasn't a culinary revelation, but it was decidedly delicious. If you're looking for a light, filling meal with fresh flavors, why not channel Child? For the recipe, keep reading.
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
2 lemons, 1 juiced and 1 sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup capers, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup loosely packed mixed fresh herbs, such as parsley, tarragon, chervil, dill, and thyme, roughly chopped
4 (about 6 ounces each) sole fillets
- Combine shallot, wine, and lemon juice in a small skillet; set over high heat. Bring to a boil; simmer until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; whisk in butter, capers, 1/4 teaspoon salt, a pinch of pepper, and 3/4 of the herbs. Set aside; keep warm.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add 3 tablespoons sauce.
- Season both sides of fillets with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Arrange fillets and lemon slices in skillet; sprinkle with some herbs.
- Cook until fillets are golden, about 4 minutes. Turn, sprinkle with remaining herbs, and cook until fish is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Serve with lemon slices and remaining sauce.
- Main Dishes, Fish
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.