Effen Vodka recently sent us its latest flavor, Salted Caramel ($30), and if it weren't for the accompanying marshmallows (my ultimate weakness) and other cocktail accoutrements, the bottle may have been tossed aside. I mean, how many silly flavored vodkas can one possibly try? However reluctant, I took one whiff of the wheat vodka and the buttery, caramelized scent made me feel giddy from the impending sugar high. Take a look at the cocktail recipe.
Despite smelling so sweet, the cocktail below is balanced, with just enough creaminess and savoriness. I'd even give it a heavy splash of simple syrup to make the salted caramel flavor shine. The name "rocky road" is a misnomer as this smooth sailing cocktail is like drinking a spiked milkshake. In fact, why not throw some ice in a blender and turn this into an adult shake? We'd approve. However, if you're on a time crunch, try the vodka on the rocks with a splash of ginger ale. I think it's safe to say we consider this particular flavored vodka to hold up to its liquid luxury tagline.
- 1 1/2 ounces Effen Salted Caramel Vodka
- 1/4 ounce DeKuyper Crème de Cacao Dark Liqueur
- 1 ounce half and half
- Splash of simple syrup
- Salted caramel marshmallows, for garnish
- Milk chocolate shavings, for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, combine ice, vodka, crème de cacao, half and half, and simple syrup, and shake until frothy and chilled.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with marshmallows and milk chocolate shavings.
- Drinks, Cocktails
- Makes 1 cocktail
- Cook Time
- 5 minutes