- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
8 large eggs
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices. Break up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon or your fingers. Add the thyme and simmer, letting the flavors fuse, for 10-15 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to a blender and puree. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Set 4 shallow ovenproof bowls on a baking sheet. Pour the pureed sauce into the bowls. Crack 2 eggs into each bowl and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the cheese over the eggs and bake the eggs for about 8-10 minutes, until the whites are just set. Serve hot.
- Eggs, Breakfast/Brunch
- North American