- 10 large sweet onions, such as Walla Walla, Vidalia, or Maui
1/2 cup unsalted butter, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- To prep the onions, trim the stem end, cut in half lengthwise through the root, and peel each half. Leaving the root end intact, cut each half lengthwise in 1/4-inch-thick slices. Trim to remove the root.
- Scatter butter in the bottom of a 6-1/2-quart electric slow cooker. Add the onions and sprinkle the thyme over the top. Place the lid on the slow cooker, set the cooking mode to high, and set a timer for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, stir the onion mixture. Set a timer for 6 hours, continuing to cook on high.
- After 6 hours, turn the power off, remove the cover, give the onions a stir, and let cool in the ceramic insert for 1 hour.
- Ladle the onions into the jars through a wide-mouth funnel, dividing evenly. Cool completely and then cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Makes two 6-cup (1-1/2 liter) jars of butter-braised onions.
- Other, Condiments/Sauces
- North American