- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 stick butter, melted and lightly cooled
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 green apples (I use 1 1/2), peeled, cored, and cut into about 16 thick slices
- 1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon for sprinkling
1. Preheat your oven to 400 F. Butter and flour an 8 or 9 inch cake pan with removable bottom.
2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a larger bowl, mix together well the brown sugar, melted butter, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
4. Transfer the mixture to the cake pan. Add the apple slices on top.
5. Mix together the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly on top of the cake.
6. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the top of the cake is golden and cracking and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
7. Let rest for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Transfer the cake to a cake stand or a serving plate.
Portions: about 8 slices.
- Desserts, Cake