- 3/4 pound fresh chestnuts
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup homemade turkey stock, or low-sodium canned, skimmed of fat
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Using a paring knife or a chestnut knife, cut a large X into the shell of each chestnut on one side. Arrange on a baking pan in a single layer, cut side up. Roast until flesh is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Immediately remove and discard shells, keeping chestnuts whole if possible. Set chestnuts aside.
- Melt butter and oil in a large saute pan set over medium-high heat. Add brussels sprouts; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Add roasted chestnuts. Cook, gently stirring occasionally, until brussels sprouts are tender and spotted deep brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add vinegar, sugar, and turkey stock. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has been reduced to a syrup, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish, and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
- Side Dishes, Greens
- North American