After a long weekend of grilling and chilling, get back to your routine tonight with a meal that is quick, healthy, and meat-free. This recipe combines garbanzo beans with shredded carrots and peas to make a figure-friendly veggie patty. The patties are served in pita bread with cheese, lettuce, and tomato. For extra flavor consider slathering the pita in your favorite hummus. Learn how to make this dish now.
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
1 16-oz. can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
1 medium carrot, shredded
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. olive oil
8 slices dilled Havarti cheese (4 to 6 oz.)
4 flatbreads or pita bread
Romaine leaves and sliced tomato (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place peas in 1-quart microwave-safe dish. Cover and cook on 100 percent power (high) for 2 minutes.
- In food processor bowl or with an immersion blender, puree garbanzo beans, carrot, flour, 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil, 1/2 tsp. pepper and 1/4 tsp. salt. Stir in peas. Form mixture into 8 patties.
- Heat remaining oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until browned and heated through.
- Meanwhile, place flatbreads on baking sheet. Place two slices of cheese atop each flatbread. Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Place 2 patties on each flatbread; fold over. Cut in halves and serve with romaine and tomato.
- Main Dishes, Beans
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern