- 1 medium head garlic, 1⁄4 in. cut off top
6 large baking potatoes (about 3 lb), rinsed and pierced once with a fork
4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
1⁄2 tsp freshly ground pepper
Toppings: crumbled cooked turkey bacon, shredded cheese, sour cream and minced scallions
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Wrap garlic head tightly in foil. Put garlic and potatoes in oven.
- Bake garlic 45 minutes or until soft when squeezed. Remove; let cool. Continue baking potatoes about 15 minutes or until tender when pierced.
- Unwrap garlic; squeeze pulp from head into a 4-qt pot. When cool enough to handle, peel 3 potatoes, add to pot and mash until nearly smooth. Gradually stir in chicken broth and pepper until blended. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until hot.
- Meanwhile cut remaining potatoes (with skin) in 3⁄4-in. pieces. Stir into soup and cook until hot. Serve with some or all the toppings.
- Main Dishes, Soup
- North American