When it comes to baked pastas, most people think of lasagna or macaroni and cheese. However, ziti, a thick, tubular pasta, is ideal for baking, especially when coated with a dense, rich sauce.
This comforting version is made with turkey sausage and canned tomatoes. It's a no-fuss, simple dish that's sure to win over even the most finicky eaters. To make this for your family tonight, get the delicious MyRecipes.com recipe and
- 1 (1-pound) package uncooked ziti (short tube-shaped pasta)
- 1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage links
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Get more recipes at MyRecipes.com
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain the pasta, and set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cooked pasta, sausage mixture, and basil.
- Place half of the pasta mixture in a 4-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layers.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 413 (26% from fat), Fat: 11.8g (sat 6.1g,mono 2.2g,poly 1g), Protein: 24.1g, Carbohydrate: 53g, Fiber: 4.5g, Cholesterol: 49mg, Iron: 7.9mg, Sodium: 941mg, Calcium: 265mg
Like the recipe above? Try out some of these other ones:
- Pasta, Main Dishes