Today is the first official day of summer and the perfect time to enjoy a big, green salad for dinner. Hearty and filling, salads are an excellent way to eat your daily vegetables and stay cool on a hot day as no oven/stove is necessary. Crisp greens, tangy homemade vinaigrette, and a poached egg (zapped in the microwave to make things easy on you) combine for a delicious and healthy meal. Pair with a chilled glass of white wine to ring in the sunny season: cheers to summer! This recipe is too good to pass up so bookmark it now and
Bistro Dinner Salad
From Cooking Light magazine
3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
4 large eggs
8 cups gourmet salad greens
1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled blue cheese
1 Bartlett pear, cored and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 (1-inch-thick) slices French bread baguette, toasted
- Place nuts in a small skillet; cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until lightly browned, shaking pan frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Break 1 egg into each of 4 (6-ounce) custard cups coated with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap, and microwave at high for 40 seconds or until set; let stand 1 minute. Remove eggs from cups; drain on paper towels.
- Combine walnuts, greens, blue cheese, and pear in a large bowl.
- Combine vinegar, oil, tarragon, and mustard in small bowl; stir with a whisk. Drizzle over greens mixture; toss gently.
- Arrange 2 cups salad mixture on each of 4 serving plates; top each serving with 1 egg and 1 toast slice.