With a store bought pie crust, a quiche comes together in minutes. This quick quiche features crab meat, fresh herbs, and grated cheese mixed together in a warm, fluffy custard.
Once you have the technique down, you can make hundreds of quiche variations. Sun dried tomatoes, red bell peppers, or sautéed mushrooms would be delicious substitutes for a vegetarian version. Don't have crab meat? Stir in chunks of peppered turkey or cubes of ham.
To look at the recipe, which also makes a great leftover for lunch,
- 1 (1-lb) king crab leg, thawed if frozen, or 1/2 lb lump crabmeat, picked over
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning such as Paul Prudhomme's
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 oz coarsely grated Monterey Jack cheese (1/2 cup)
- 2 oz coarsely grated Swiss cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 ready made pie crust
- If using crab leg, hack through shell with a large heavy knife and cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces. Discard shell.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, herbs, seafood seasoning, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, then stir in cheeses and crabmeat.
- Pour into ready made crust and bake until filling puffs and is no longer wobbly in center when quiche is gently shaken, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Cool in pie plate on rack 15 minutes.
- Main Dishes, Shellfish