On a recent episode of Top Chef, the remaining contestants were asked to take a dish and translate it into a soup. With this recipe for green bean soup, you can do the same thing in your own kitchen!
The classic, creamy green bean casserole is remade into a soup. It's made with vegetable broth, so it's vegetarian friendly. If you love green beans, give this recipe a try and
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 of a vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 lb. thin green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces (3 to 3 1/2 cups) plus 1/2 lb. steamed green beans
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, onion, and vanilla bean to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Discard vanilla bean.
- In a small bowl, stir together the butter and flour. Whisk into broth mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Add beans to broth mixture. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes more or until beans are crisp-tender.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with steamed green beans.
- Main Dishes, Soup