A salad does not have to be boring or strictly female friendly. In fact, with layers of flavors and textures, it can actually be quite exciting and filling. Instead of serving raw veggies with a chilled dressing, experiment with cooking techniques and alternative sauces. Tonight's quick fix salad does just that with grilled vegetables and mustard-pesto vinaigrette. Turn your grill to high and take a peek at this delicious dinner salad, just
1 (1 1/2-pound) beef flank steak, trimmed
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 small summer yellow squash, thinly sliced lengthwise
4 small zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
6 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion (optional)
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- Heat the grill at the medium-high setting. Sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper to taste. Grill the meat (about 7 to 9 minutes per side on a gas grill for medium rare, longer if you prefer medium or well done). Let the steak cool, then cut it in half lengthwise and slice each half across the grain into thin strips.
- Meanwhile, brush the yellow squash and zucchini with 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and season it with salt and pepper. Grill the sliced vegetables, turning them once, until tender (about 2 to 3 minutes). Then cut them into thirds.
- In a food processor, combine the parsley, basil, garlic, Dijon, and remaining tablespoon of lemon juice and blend well. With the motor running, slowly add the oil and blend well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine the steak, squash, zucchini, and onion, if desired.
- Add the dressing and toss to mix. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper, if desired. Stir in the tomatoes and serve over a bed of your favorite greens.