Just because a meal is meatless doesn't mean it can't be filled with flavor. This vegan recipe is jam-packed with tropical seasonings and varied textures. The onions and tempeh are slightly caramelized before being coated in cilantro, curry powder, and fresh ginger. Red pepper and mustard greens provide a necessary crunch that balances out the softness of the tempeh. The finishing touch, a sprinkling of peanuts, makes this dish subtly salty and oh-so-satisfying.
To look at the recipe,
- 1 Tbs. peanut oil
- 1 small sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, diced (1 cup)
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 2 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbs. lime juice
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest
- 4 6-inch corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup curly mustard greens, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped peanuts, optional
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is softened.
- Stir in tempeh, pineapple juice, cilantro, curry powder, and ginger. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook 5 minutes, or until pineapple juice evaporates and tempeh starts to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in lime juice and zest, and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill tortillas with tempeh mixture. Add red bell pepper and mustard greens. Top with peanuts, if desired.
- Main Dishes, Tofu