Sometimes it's nice to have a satisfying salad for dinner.
This spinach variation is full of colorful beets, sweet carrots, crunchy pecans, and hard boiled eggs. To cut back the calories, the recipe discards the majority of the egg yolks.
Although a store-bought dressing is delicious, if you have time, make the creamy blue cheese dressing that accompanies the salad recipe. For this quick vegetarian meal,
- 8 large eggs
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 4 tablespoons Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing (recipe follows), divided
- 1 8-ounce can beets, rinsed and sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook at the lowest simmer for 10 minutes. Pour off the hot water and run cold water over the eggs until they are completely cooled. Peel the eggs, discard 6 of the yolks, chop the remaining yolks and whites.
- Toss spinach and 2 tablespoons dressing in a large bowl. Divide between 2 plates.
- Top with chopped eggs, beets, carrots and pecans. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons dressing.
1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/3 cup nonfat buttermilk or nonfat milk
1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar or white vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (1 ounce)
Whisk mayonnaise, buttermilk (or milk), yogurt, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Add cheese and stir, mashing with a spoon until the cheese is incorporated.
Makes 1 1/4 cups.
- Salads, Main Dishes