Who knew chickpeas could be transformed into so many delicious dishes?! Yesterday Yum recommended using them as a spread-like salad in a sandwich, and today I'm suggesting you form the canned beans into individual cakes.
These flavorful patties are seasoned with garlic, cumin, and parsley. They're the perfect topping to a Mediterranean-style salad dressed with tangy Greek yogurt sauce. If this vegetarian meal sounds interesting to you, get the recipe and
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt (preferably Greek)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Pita chips (optional)
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas, parsley, garlic, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper just until coarsely chopped and the mixture comes together when gently squeezed. Form into eight 1/2-inch-thick patties and coat with the flour, tapping off excess.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the patties, turning carefully, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Divide the greens, tomatoes, onion, and chickpea patties among plates. Drizzle with the dressing and serve with the pita chips, if using.
- Salads, Main Dishes
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern