So you've just decided to host a Halloween party and you've got no time to plan. No matter. On Saturday afternoon, before you put on your costume, you can throw together some festive yet uncomplicated snacks and make these cupcakes. Shhh, don't tell anyone: the recipe uses a boxed yellow cake mix, meaning these mini cakes will be ready to bake in minutes. The addition of pumpkin pie spice and canned pumpkin puree, in combination with the smooth cream cheese frosting, will fool your guests into thinking you slaved for hours on these cupcakes. Garnish with a single piece of candy corn and get ready to celebrate! To check out the easy recipe,
- 1 18.5-ounce box yellow cake mix (plus the ingredients called for in the package directions)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 8-ounce bars cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 24 pieces candy corn
- Heat oven to 350° F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
- Prepare the cake mix as directed but with the following change: Add the pumpkin pie spice and substitute the can of pumpkin puree for the water called for in the package directions.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin tins and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Spread on the cupcakes and top each with a piece of candy corn.
Makes 24 cupcakes.
- Desserts, Cupcakes