- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 2 small ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
- Salt and pepper
- 1 28-ounce can diced or whole fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 14.5-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bunches broccolini, cut into 2 1/2-inch florets
- 8 to 10 basil leaves, torn
- Grated pecorino-romano cheese, for topping
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a medium soup pot, heat the extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Stir in the carrot, celery, onion, garlic and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the diced and stewed tomatoes and the chicken stock and bring to a simmer; cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the broccolini and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- Using an immersion blender or a blender, puree the soup. Stir in the broccolini and basil; season with salt and pepper. Serve with grated cheese and crusty bread.
- Other, Soups/Stews
- North American