- 4 boneless chicken breasts, skin on
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for breasts
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3/4 cup coarse breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
3/4 cup homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rub chicken breasts lightly with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine 2 tablespoons butter with the mustard; reserve 2 teaspoons for sauce. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter; mix with breadcrumbs and thyme, and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sear chicken skin side down until crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Smear with mustard mixture, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Turn skin side up; apply mustard mixture and breadcrumbs.
- Transfer skillet to oven, and roast until chicken is cooked through and top is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to serving platter. Add stock and cream to skillet over medium heat, and stir with wooden spoon until creamy and reduced to 3/4 cup, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in reserved mustard mixture. Strain through a fine sieve, and serve with chicken. Garnish with thyme.
- Poultry, Main Dishes
- North American