When I think of grilling, my first thought is always red meat, which I've flame-broiled a lot of lately. But the barbie isn't just limited to grilled meats and vegetables; it's also an outstanding way to enhance the flavor of soy products such as tofu.
The key to a making a dish such as this one successful starts with using the right ingredients. Select the firmest tofu you can find; soft or silken varieties will slip through the grates. That, and don't skimp on the sauce: glaze the skewers generously, and more flavor will make its way to your plate. Serve it with lightly skillet-fried brown rice for a complete and healthy meal. For the recipe, read on.
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for grates
- 1/2 jalapeno chile, seeded
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 scallions, white and green parts separated and cut into 1-inch lengths
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 package (14 ounces) extra-firm tofu, weighted and cut into 12 pieces
- 2 summer squash, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Heat grill to medium. In a food processor, combine cilantro, 1/4 cup oil, jalapeno, ginger, lime juice, and scallion greens. Blend until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Combine tofu, scallion whites, and 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Thread tofu and scallion whites onto four skewers, then thread squash onto four skewers.
- Clean and lightly oil hot grates. Grill squash kebabs, covered, until tender, 11 to 13 minutes, turning occasionally. Grill tofu kebabs until scallions are soft, 4 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally; brush with cup cilantro sauce and grill 30 seconds more. Serve kebabs with remaining cilantro sauce.
- Main Dishes, Tofu
- North American