- 3 slices thick-sliced bacon
2 thick slices of ripe red tomato
Salt and pepper, to taste
Handful of baby spinach, large stems removed
Equal amounts of feta and cream cheese (about 1 1/2 tablespoons each), at room temperature
2 slices multigrain bread
- Fry bacon in pan slowly until it is very crisp, but not scorched. If you are making more than six pieces at a time, put bacon on a foil or parchment covered cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven. It will take about 20 minutes, but it cooks very evenly.
- Grind fresh pepper on tomatoes and salt them very lightly.
- Mix about 1 1/2 tablespoons feta and the same of cream cheese with a fork. (You can make a large batch and keep it in the fridge for about a week.)
- When all your ingredients are ready, toast the bread until nice and crisp (I used the oven).
- Spread one side of each slice with feta mixture and return to oven long enough to warm the feta.
- Assemble the sandwich: First put tomatoes on one side, then lay on the bacon. (I let the bacon hang out in a decadent sort of way.) Then put the spinach on the other side, pressing into the feta slightly.
- Close sandwich, cut in half; spear with toothpick halves and eat immediately.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American
- Serves 1.