- For the sisig:
- 2 tablespoons canola, grapeseed, or peanut oil
- 1 small yellow onion (about 1 cup), minced
- 3 red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, minced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons (about 6 cloves) garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup 100 percent pure pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups roasted or rotisserie chicken (from about 1 chicken), shredded
- For the tacos:
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas, for serving
- Crema or sour cream, for serving
- Chile-garlic sauce, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- Make the sisig: Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over high heat. When it shimmers, add onion and peppers, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, paprika, black pepper, and cook until fragrant, another 2 minutes.
- Add the pineapple juice, lemon juice, vinegar, and soy sauce, and cook until liquid reduced by half, about 8 minutes. Stir in the chicken, and cook until heated through and the sauce is mostly reduced but still coats the bottom of the pan and the chicken, about 3 more minutes.
- Serve the tacos: Serve on warmed tortillas, topped, as desired, with crema, chili-garlic sauce, and cilantro.
Makes: About 3 to 4 servings, or 8 to 10 tacos.
- Poultry, Main Dishes
- Other Asian