- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
6 small carrots, peeled and cut in half crosswise
2 small parsnips, peeled and cut in quarters crosswise
1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed
1 8.5-ounce jar sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut in half lengthwise
1 small bunch sage
5 pounds short ribs
kosher salt and pepper
1 bottle red wine
1 loaf crusty bread
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the onions, garlic, carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, tomatoes, and sage.
- Season the short ribs with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper and nestle them among the vegetables. Add the wine.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook until the meat is tender and falls from the bones, 8-9 hours.
- Using a large spoon, skim off the excess fat and discard. Divide the ribs and vegetables among individual bowls and spoon the sauce over the top. Serve with the crusty bread.
- Main Dishes, Beef