For the 17th year in a row, chef Wolfgang Puck is the mastermind behind the food at the glamorous Oscars afterparty, the Governors Ball. One of Puck's signature dishes, smoked salmon pizza with caviar, is on the menu.
While it's easy to find the recipe online, caviar isn't the most affordable of ingredients. If you're hosting an Academy Awards viewing, I suggest you make another of Wolfgang's pizzas that's equally delicious. This four-cheese pizza with tomatoes and pesto is my new favorite pie.
It's so much more than your everyday cheese pizza. He takes traditional flavors and translates them into a luxurious dish. The original recipe calls for two tablespoons of slow-roasted tomatoes, but I used jarred sun-dried tomatoes instead. The result is scrumptious. To serve on Sunday, check out my variation.
- 12 ounces pizza dough
Olive oil, for drizzling
2 tablespoons pesto
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, minced
3/4 cup shredded or grated mozzarella, about 3 ounces
3/4 cup grated Fontina
2 Roma tomatoes, ends trimmed and cut into 12 slices
2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
6 to 8 large fresh basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- Before you start to prep any of the pizza ingredients, preheat the oven to 500°F and place a large baking sheet in the oven.
- Roll out the pizza dough as thin as possible, shaping it to fit on the baking sheet.
- Once the baking sheet has been in the oven for at least 15 minutes, remove with a pot holder. Drizzle with olive oil and turn to coat the whole sheet.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared sheet and brush lightly with pesto and scatter the sun-dried tomatoes evenly around the inner circle of the pizza.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and Fontina, arrange the slices of the Roma tomatoes, and then sprinkle with the goat cheese, oregano, thyme, and finally the Parmesan. Bake on until the pizza crust is nicely browned, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- When the pizza is removed from the oven, transfer to a board and garnish with the chiffonade of basil leaves, cut the pizza into slices, and serve immediately.
- Main Dishes, Pizza