This dish is a complete brunch in one, combining eggs, French toast, and sausage for a sweet-salty start to your weekend! I served mine with a lemon vinaigrette-dressed spring greens salad topped with some crunchy, julienned Asian pear.
- Room-temperature butter, for greasing the baking dish
1 loaf (3/4 pound) brioche or challah, cut into 2-inch-thick slices and halved crosswise
4 fully cooked chicken sausages (about 12 ounces total), thinly sliced
8 large eggs
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Butter a two-quart shallow baking dish; arrange bread slices in dish, overlapping slightly. Place sausage slices between bread slices.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, maple syrup, and salt until combined. Pour egg mixture over bread and sausage, pressing down on the bread to submerge it. Cover dish tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least two hours (or up to overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Remove the plastic wrap and place the baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the strata is puffed and set in center, about an hour and a half (tent with aluminum foil if it's browning too quickly). Let cool 10 minutes.
- Breakfast/Brunch, Casseroles
- North American