Last Sunday night I was in charge of making dinner. I sent my dad to the store with a list, but at the last minute I called him to change my mind about the side dish for my bacon and onion risotto. Dad, I said, how do you feel about a spinach and strawberry salad on the side? He loved the idea as much as I did. I love incorporating fruit into salads for a crisp and complex taste experience. This salad makes a great side for the aforementioned risotto, a lemony pasta dish, or a spice rubbed grilled chicken. Throw in a couple hard boiled eggs, some avocado, mushrooms, or crunchy bacon bits and this side salad can easily be turned into a quick and flavorful dinner. To bookmark this recipe - trust me it's one you are going to love -
Spinach & Strawberry Salad
From Whole Foods
1/2 shallot, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
6 oz baby spinach leaves
5 fresh strawberries
1/3 cup sliced almonds
2 oz goat cheese
- Combine the minced shallot and raspberry vinegar in a small bowl. Slowly add the olive oil to the mixture while continuously whisking. Place the vinaigrette in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Roughly chop (or tear) the baby spinach into large julienne strips. Add to a large bowl. Prep the remaining components of the salad, but keep separated.
- Slice the strawberries into thin round slices.
- Toast the almonds by spreading on a cookie sheet and placing in a 375°F degree oven for approximately 5 minutes.
- Crumble the goat cheese into medium-size chunks.
- When you are ready to serve the salad, add the strawberries, almonds and goat cheese and lightly mix together.
- Add the dressing slowly (you may not want to add all the dressing to the salad). Gently mix together and serve immediately.