In my humble opinion, there is no food combination better than melted cheese and tortilla chips. Taking a bite of crunchy, salty chips topped with gooey, oozing cheese is like taking a bite out of heaven. While I'm crazy for the combo in its classic nacho form, I also live for the pairing as a dip. Not just any dip, but this chile con queso dip. It takes all the typical nacho toppings — cheese, jalapeños, sour cream, tomatoes — and mixes them into a dip. It's super easy to make and unbelievably satisfying to eat. Seriously, there is nothing more to say. You need to make this dip. It's beyond scrumptious. Hurry up and get the recipe when you
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 green onions, minced (white and green parts)
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- tortilla chips for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium high heat. Add the green onions and poblano pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes, until tender.
- In a 1-quart casserole, combine the green onion mixture, cumin, tomato, diced chiles, jalapeno, cream cheese, sour cream, and 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. (At this point the casserole can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day. Add five minutes to the bake time.)
- Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve hot with tortilla chips.
- Dips, Appetizers