- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (2 oz), divided
1/4 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds store-bought pizza dough
1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F with racks in upper and lower thirds. Lightly oil 2 large (17- by 13-inch) baking sheets.
- Stir together rosemary, thyme, 1/4 cup cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
- Stir together oil, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in another bowl.
- Divide dough in half. Keeping half of dough covered with a kitchen towel (not terry cloth), gently roll out other half into a 15-by 10-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin. (Use your hands to pull corners. If dough is very elastic, cover with towel and let rest about 3 minutes.)
- Sprinkle one half of dough (crosswise) with half of herb mixture, then fold dough in half crosswise and roll lightly to form a roughly 10- by 8-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 9 strips (less than 1 inch wide) with a pizza wheel or a sharp heavy knife. Keeping remaining strips covered with a kitchen towel, twist each strip from both ends and place on baking sheet, arranging twists 1 inch apart. Brush with 1 tablespoon garlic oil and let stand while forming remaining bread twists.
- Roll out and form more bread twists with remaining dough and herb mixture, then arrange on other sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon garlic oil and let stand 5 minutes.
- Bake bread twists, switching position of sheets halfway through, until golden, 20 to 25 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, stir together parsley and remaining 3/4 cup cheese in a shallow baking pan.
- Immediately after baking, brush bread twists with remaining garlic oil, then roll in parsley and cheese until coated. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 18 twists.
Make ahead: Bread twists can be baked, but not coated, 2 hours ahead. Reheat on a large baking sheet in a 350°F oven until hot, 3 to 5 minutes, then brush with garlic oil and roll in parsley and cheese.
- Appetizers, Breads/Crackers
- North American