- 2 pounds plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 baguette, split horizontally
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Dice 2 tomatoes, and set aside for garnish; core and quarter remaining tomatoes. In two batches, puree quartered tomatoes with tomato juice, vinegar, and 1 tablespoon oil in a blender until very smooth, about 3 minutes; transfer to a large bowl.
- Season gazpacho with salt and pepper, and refrigerate until ready to serve (up to 1 day).
- Drizzle cut sides of bread with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Layer prosciutto and mozzarella on bottom half of bread; season with salt and pepper. Close sandwich, and cut into quarters.
- Garnish soup with diced tomatoes, and drizzle with oil; serve sandwiches alongside.
- Main Dishes, Soup
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern