The other day I was going on about wanting to make strawberry pie (I saw the recipe in Gourmet's June issue) when my friend interrupted me. She pointed out that sadly, strawberry season is almost over! Determined to make the pie, I headed to my local market in hopes of finding the last of the season's berries. Lucky me, they still had some left!This pie is sweet, delicious, and surprisingly easy to make. It takes time to set and chill, so make it the night before you plan on serving it. If you want to taste this pie, make it soon, before strawberry season ends. To check out the recipe,
IngredientsFor crust*: 1 (5-oz) package shortbread cookies 2 Tbsp sugar 2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces For filling: 2 lb (1 1/2-inch) strawberries, hulled (see cooks' note, below) 3/4 cup sugar 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice 1 envelope unflavored gelatin (2 1/4 tsp)
- Make crust: preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- Pulse cookies in a food processor to fine crumbs, then pulse in sugar and butter until combined. Press crumb mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Prepare filling and assemble pie: select 20 large strawberries as close to same size as possible and set aside.
- Cut remaining berries into 1/4-inch dice and toss with sugar and lemon juice. Let stand, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Drain berries in a sieve set into a large glass measuring cup. Add enough water to measure 2 cups. Transfer liquid to a medium saucepan and reserve berries.
- Sprinkle gelatin over strawberry liquid and let soften 1 minute. Bring to a bare simmer, stirring until gelatin has dissolved. Add diced berries then transfer to a metal bowl set into an ice bath and stir frequently until mixture begins to mound, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Spoon 1/2 cup filling into piecrust and arrange reserved whole berries, stem ends down, on filling. Spoon remaining filling over and between berries. Chill pie until filling is set, at least 4 hours.
- Desserts, Pies/Tarts
- North American