- Pita Crisps
6 large pocket-style pita breads (about 12 ounces total)
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups finely diced ripe plum tomato (about 3 tomatoes)
3/4 cup finely diced, peeled, and seeded cucumber (about 1/2 a cucumber)
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 cup (about 4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped
2 to 2 pickled or fresh hot cherry peppers, stemmed and minced
- Make pita crisps: Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut each pita into 8 triangles and then separate each triangle into 2 pieces.
- In a large bowl combine olive oil and salt. Add the pita wedges and toss well coating them evenly with the oil mixture.
- On two large baking sheets, spread out the pita wedges in a single layer. Bake for about 4 minutes, then turn the pieces over and continue baking for 4 to 5 minutes more, or until golden and crisp. Let cool before serving. The crisps can be made in advance, cooled, and stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Make salsa: combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix gently. Serve immediately with pita crisps.
Makes 4 cups.
- Dips, Appetizers