- 2 large red bell peppers, halved, cored and seeded
2 large red onions, sliced crosswise 1/3 inch thick
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices peasant bread
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons prepared pesto sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 pound sliced sharp Cheddar cheese
- Light a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill. Brush the peppers and onions with olive oil and grill over high heat until softened and charred in spots, 8 to 9 minutes. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Peel the peppers and cut into thin strips.
- Lightly brush the bread on both sides with olive oil and grill until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the pesto sauce and spread it on the bread. Preheat the broiler.
- In a bowl, mix the tablespoon of olive oil with the vinegar. Add the onions and peppers, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Mound the peppers and onions on the toast. Cover with the cheese and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, turning the rack, until melted. Serve.
- Appetizers, Crostini