- Sweet & Tangy Barbecue Sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, minced
2 cups ketchup
8-ounce jar honey mustard
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
3 pounds chicken pieces, skin on (thighs, drumsticks, breasts)
3 pounds pork ribs on the slab
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup garlic powder
- Make barbecue sauce: Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sweat the onion until tender and translucent. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and use a handheld blender to process it to a smooth paste. (Alternatively, transfer it to an upright blender and back again.) Simmer gently for an additional 5 minutes.
- Separate the sauce into two containers. Use one to marinate and glaze the meat during grilling. Reserve the remainder for use as a sauce at the table.
- Lightly brush your grill with olive oil and preheat it to approximately 350°F. In the meantime, rinse the meat, pat it dry, and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Arrange the chicken and ribs on the grill. Resist turning the meat for at least 5 minutes. This will help it sear nicely. After 5 minutes or so, turn the meat over, sear the other side for 5 more minutes. Turn again, and this time, brush the meat with the barbecue sauce. Then turn again every 5 minutes, repeating the process of brushing the meat with sauce until the chicken and ribs are cooked through and the barbecue sauce begins to caramelize and form a crust on the meat (35 to 40 minutes).
- Serve with more barbecue sauce on the side.
- Other, Main Dishes
- North American