- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 3/4 pounds), neck and giblets removed, butterflied
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/2 oranges
- 2 foil-wrapped bricks or 1 cast-iron skillet
- Whisk juices, olive oil, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, rosemary, and garlic in glass baking dish. Add chicken to marinade. Turn to coat; chill 2 hours, turning occasionally. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.
- Mix remaining 2 teaspoons salt, paprika, and pepper in small bowl.
- Spray grill rack with nonstick spray. Prepare barbecue (medium heat).
- Slice 1/2 orange into 1/4- to 1/8-inch-thick slices. Remove chicken from marinade; pat dry. Loosen skin from chicken breast and slide 1 to 2 orange slices between skin and breast. Loosen skin from thighs and slide 1 to 2 orange slices between skin and thighs.*
- Rub paprika mixture over both sides of chicken.
- Place chicken, skin side down, on grill. Place foil-wrapped bricks or cast-iron skillet atop chicken (if using bricks, position 1 brick over top half of chicken and 1 brick over bottom half). Cover and grill until skin is crispy and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove bricks or skillet. Using tongs or 2 large spatulas, turn chicken. Replace bricks or skillet and cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes longer. Let chicken rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place whole orange on grill and cook until slightly charred, turning often, about 1 minute. Cut into wedges and serve alongside for squeezing over chicken.*
*When I made this chicken, I ran out of oranges and did not place any under the skin. Nor did I serve grilled oranges alongside. However, it was still wonderful!
- Poultry, Main Dishes