- 1 10-to 12- lb. fresh or frozen whole turkey
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup finely chopped slivered almonds or chopped pine nuts
1/3 cup snipped fresh parsley
1 tsp. finely shredded lemon, orange or tangerine peel
4 tsp. lemon, orange or tangerine juice
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground allspice or ground ginger
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Thaw turkey, if frozen. In a small bowl, combine butter, almonds, parsley, lemon peel and juice, garlic, allspice and pepper. Cover and chill in freezer for 10 minutes or in refrigerator for 20 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey. Starting at the neck on one side of the breast, slip your fingers between skin and meat, loosening skin as your work toward the tail end. Once your entire hand is under the skin, free the skin around thigh and leg area up to but not around the tip of the drumstick. Repeat on the other side of the breast. Rub almond butter under the skin, directly on meat. Skewer neck skin to back. Twist wing tips behind back. Tuck drumsticks under band of skin or tie to tail. Insert a meat thermometer into the center of an inside thigh muscle.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place turkey on grill rack over drip pan. Cover; grill for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until thermometer registers 180 degrees F and turkey is no longer pink, adding fresh coals every 45 to 60 minutes and cutting band of skin or string the last hour of grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill, reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above.)
- Remove turkey from grill and cover loosely with foil. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Carve turkey into thin slices.
Serves 8 to 12.
- Poultry, Main Dishes
- North American