- 1 small red or yellow watermelon (3 to 4 pounds), preferably seedless and not too ripe
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing the melon
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes) or 1 large lemon
Juice of 1 large navel orange
Pinch of sea or kosher salt, or more to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper, or more to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Preheat a gas grill or build a charcoal fire for direct grilling. Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half. Cut these quarters into 2-inch-thick slices. Brush the slices lightly with olive oil and set aside until ready to grill.
- Combine lime and orange juices. Taste; if it is too tart, add more orange juice. It should taste like a "sour" orange. Add the salt and cayenne and whisk continually while adding the oil in a thin stream. Whisk until thickened (emulsified). Taste and adjust the oil and salt to your liking. Add the mint and set aside.
- Just before serving, place the oiled watermelon slices on a very clean cooking grate directly over the heat source. Grill until marked and just warmed through but still crunchy, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Let cool.
- Cut off the rinds and discard. Cut the watermelon into chunks and place in a serving bowl. Pour the dressing over the top and toss gently. Top with the feta, if desired, and sprinkle with another pinch of cayenne.
- Salads, Fruit
- North American