If you are in need of a refreshing, summer cooler for your next barbecue, think about a cucumber cocktail. Light, tasty, and unexpectedly delicious, this recipe is similar to that of a mojito. I first came across it when I was a bartendress — I thought cucumbers were for salads not drinks. I was in for a surprise because the cocktail worked perfectly with a delicate fresh balance of tart and cool. Sip these while relaxing on your deck, front porch, or patio. Please give this drink a try; you won't be disappointed. To get the recipe, just read more!
6 limes, rinsed
1 cup packed mint leaves, no stems, plus 6 sprigs for garnish
3 unwaxed cucumbers
½ cup sugar
2 cups vodka or gin, preferably Hendrick's gin
- Thinly slice 3 limes and place in a pitcher. Juice the rest and add juice to pitcher.
- Add mint leaves. Slice 2 cucumbers and add, then add sugar. Muddle ingredients.
- Add vodka or gin.
- Place in refrigerator to steep 30 minutes or longer.
- Peel remaining cucumber and cut lengthwise into 6 spears.
- Fill 6 highball or other large glasses with ice. Strain mixture from pitcher into each.
- Top with a splash of sparkling water, garnish each glass with a sprig of mint and a cucumber spear, and serve.