- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup thinly sliced garlic, plus 1 whole clove, peeled and halved
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
6 slices whole-grain country bread
2/3 cup chopped fresh basil
6 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss onions, oil, salt and pepper in a 9-by-13-inch pan. Roast the onions, stirring once or twice, until starting to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 cup garlic and continue roasting, stirring once, until the tomatoes are falling apart and beginning to brown in spots, about 20 minutes more.
- Transfer the onion-tomato mixture to a large saucepan. Add broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place bread on a large baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 10 minutes. Rub both sides of the toasted bread with the halved garlic clove. (Discard remaining garlic.)
- To serve, place a piece of toasted bread in a shallow soup bowl. Ladle about 1 cup soup over the bread. Sprinkle with basil and cheese and serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings of 1 cup each.
Per serving: 213 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 594 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
- Other, Soups/Stews
- North American