Looking for a new way to share some love this Valentine's Day? We partnered with Pillsbury for this deliciously adorable recipe.
Valentine's Day can be an overwhelming swirl of candies and crushes for little ones. Between all the chocolatey treats and love notes, it's also a holiday that requires a bit of parental prep work. Instead of getting stuck slapping stickers on mini Valentine's Day cards, entice everyone into the kitchen with the promise of a lovely treat, which turns into a memorable way to let someone know they're special.
What's fun about this Valentine's Day baking project is you can make the hearts big or small — and everyone can help. We found around a 3- to 5-inch heart cookie cutter delivered the best results, and tucking them in waxed-paper sandwich bags kept them together in transport.
You can fill these with anything from peanut butter to chocolate chips, but we think strawberry jam is the best.
- 1 16.5-ounce tube Pillsbury sugar cookies
- 1/4 cup flour plus extra for dusting your work surface
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375˚F.
- Place the cookie dough in a mixing bowl and add the flour, which gives the dough a bit more flexibility when rolling. Dust your work area with flour, and then slowly roll out the cookie dough until it's around 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a heart cookie cutter to create the base and top for the hand pies, gently lifting the bases and placing them on a parchment-covered sheet pan. Remember, the cookies will spread, so leave at least an inch of space between the hand pies.
- Place a teaspoon of jam over the base, and then top with another heart. Use a fork to press around the edges of the hand pie.
- Poke a few holes in the top of the cookie using a fork, or cut out a mini heart or X using a sharp knife.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, then let cool. Dust the finished hand pies with powdered sugar, and give to the ones you love.
- We had 24 finished pies (after tasting a few) to share with loved ones.
- Pies/Tarts, Desserts
- 24 hand pies
Click here for more easy and sweet Valentine's Day ideas from Pillsbury!