Bored by the basic all-American burger? Take a trip to the Caribbean with this innovative recipe.
The beef patty is seasoned with jerk sauce and bread crumbs. Instead of the typical tomato, lettuce, and pickle condiments, the burger is topped with a quick mango, pepper, and ginger salsa. A ciabatta roll replaces the bun and Monterey Jack cheese finishes off the scrumptious burger.
Throw in plantain chips and a daiquiri and you've got a meal that's ideal for impromptu entertaining. To kick-start your weekend with this dish,
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium mango, seeded, peeled, and chopped
- 1/4 cup apple jelly
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Dash salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup bottled jerk sauce
- 1/4 fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 ciabatta rolls or hamburger buns, split
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)
- For salsa, in a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add peppers, onion, and ginger; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add mango, jelly, lime juice, and salt; cook and stir until jelly melts. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, 1/4 cup of the jerk sauce, and the bread crumbs. Add ground beef; mix well. Using hands, shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- For a charcoal grill, place patties on the grill rack directly over medium coals. Grill, uncovered, for 10 to 13 minutes or until done (160°F), turning and brushing once with the remaining jerk sauce halfway through grilling. If desired, toast ciabatta rolls on the grill. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties, then ciabatta rolls, if desired, on gas grill over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Divide cheese among bottoms of rolls. Serve burgers in rolls with some of the salsa. Serve remaining salsa on the side.
Makes 4 burgers.
Per Burger: 808 cal., 50 g fat (20 sat. fat), 167 mg chol., 740 mg sodium, 60 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 31 g pro.
- Main Dishes, Beef
- North American