If using key limes, you'll need about 2 pounds of them; zest 2 key limes, as they're smaller.
- For the crust:
7 (5 by 2 1/2-inch) graham crackers, broken into small pieces
3/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- For the filling:
2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
Grated zest of 1 lime, plus 1 slice of lime for garnish
1 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed (from 8-10 limes)
4 large egg yolks
- Unsweetened vanilla whipped cream, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Butter a 9-inch pie plate.
- Make the crust: Pulse together graham crackers, almonds, sugar, and salt in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a bowl, and stir in butter. Press crumb mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of pie plate. Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely. (Leave oven on.)
- Make the filling and bake the pie: Gently whisk together filling ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth, and pour into crust. Bake until just set in center, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool completely (filling will set as it cools). Chill pie, loosely covered, at least 8 hours.
- Garnish with whipped cream and lime slice before serving.
- Desserts, Pies/Tarts
- North American
- 8-10 servings