Kumquats are in season now through April, and while they're at their peak a little longer, I'm stocking up to use them in everything from salads to marmalade. My current favorite application? In a cocktail.
To make this effervescent drink, muddle the kumquats to release their juices and aromatic oils. You'll find that the brightness from the citrus marries well with ginger syrup, which delivers a clean sweetness and another dimension of flavor.
Each sip is so pleasing that you'll be on your second glass before you know it! For the recipe, read ahead.
- 8 kumquats, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons ginger syrup
- 1-1/2 ounces vodka
- Club soda
- 2 whole fresh or candied kumquats, for garnish (optional)
- In a mixing glass, muddle together kumquats, lemon juice, and ginger syrup.
- Add vodka; pour into a highball glass filled with ice.
- Top off the glass with club soda. Garnish with two fresh or candied kumquats.
Makes 1 drink.
- Drinks, Cocktails
- North American